July 7th, 2008
I love peanut butter. I have distinct memories of sneaking spoonfuls out of the jar and eating it as slow as possible, to savor every salty, fatty, delicious lick. Sadly, most store peanut butters are full of added sugars, oils and the evil high-fructose corn syrup. For the past few years I have been making my own peanut butter at home because it is not only better (taste and health-wise) but it is easy and cheap. Next time I buy peanuts, I’ll do the math to prove it to you.
Here is the recipe that I use:
Keep in mind you can use whatever kind of peanut you want and you can buy them raw and roast them yourself (but I avoid that if I can, because I usually forget they are in the oven). Don’t fret if you bought salted peanuts, just don’t add any salt!
The Best Peanut Butter (Yield: 1 pint?)
3 cups of Valencia (preferably) dry-roasted peanuts (plus 1/2 cup put aside if you want chunky style)
1 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
1. Shell and roast if peanuts are raw. You could try a raw pb, but I don’t think they taste very good. Roasting the nuts releases oils and brings out that strong peanut flavor.
2. Place peanuts and salt in a food processor or strong blender. I have made p.b. in crappy blenders and processors, it just takes a little longer and more effort on your part to scrape down the bowl.
3. Process for longer than you think necessary. The stages that the peanuts go through are as follows:
whole nuts—ground nuts—a paste—one big ball of sticky dough—and finally, the ball breaks down into creamy peanut butter. Be patient, it will happen.
(NOTE: if it is too earthy or dry to your taste, you can add sugar and/or oil, but I don’t think it needs it)
4. If you want chunky peanut butter, throw the reserved nuts in at this point and pulse until it is at the chunk level you desire.
5. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 months, maybe more. My p.b. never lasts that long in my house!
You can impress all your friends with homemade peanut butter and feel like a star. They have no idea how easy it is. Plus, with your increased consumption of this wonder of wonders, you are also preventing heart disease, getting protein, vitamins B3 & E, magnesium and fiber.