July 24th, 2007
I had some overripe apricots crying in the fridge from neglect. I don’t like to eat them when they get overripe, and this recipe popped into my head. I made this two years ago, but with eggs. Today it has been veganized and I think the world is better because of it’s goodness. Try it and let me know what you think! The apricot melts into the middle of cake. Although it looks like a muffin, don’t be fooled, it is rich and buttery.
Yield: 10 average muffin size
- 4 oz vegan margarine (I prefer Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup sugar (evaporated cane juice!)
- 1/3 c packed brown sugar (plus an extra spoonful for later)
- 3 T unsweetened applesauce
- 1 T ground flaxseed whisked with 3 T h20
- 1 tsp lime zest (or whatever you can zest that’s on hand)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c ap flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 fl oz cashew milk (or milk of your choice; i’m on a homemade cashew milk kick)
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar (or similar acid)
- 5 apricots, halved and pitted
The fun part:
- Preheat your oven to 350 deg F.
- Grease up your muffin pans.
- Add vinegar to cashew milk and let it sit while you mise your stuff.
- Cream margarine and sugars until fluffy (if lazy, use your food processor, it’ll be O.K.!)
- Add applesauce, mix until well combined.
- Add flax goo, mix until well combined.
- Add zest and vanilla, mix well.
- Add flour and baking soda. Mix until just incorporated.
- Add cashew milk/vinegar and mix. DON’T overmix, or it won’t rise all pretty.
- Spoon batter into tin, filling about halfway full.
- Smoosh an apricot half into each tin, but don’t submerge it! (It will fall to the bottom and not be visible)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes and enjoy.